Saturday, January 26, 2008

Second in my fruit series


Today the sun is shining and it is a beautiful day! It is the calm before the storm according to the weather casters. Another big storm is expected tonight through Sunday. I love that we are getting this rain, it cleans everything and makes it seem new and fresh. We put in drain lines throughout our backyard so we are not getting any flooding, that also helps me to relax and enjoy the bad weather! I love a day or two of gloomy but I am sorry for those who live with months of grey skies, pouring rain that never stops and extreme cold. They say it leads to depression when you don't get enough sun, I know it would for me. I love that its cold enough that I can light the fire and have a cup of hot chocolate at night. Then the next day the sun is usually out and warming the air. We live in an irrigated desert! Ok, enough about the weather, don't you talk about the weather when you have nothing else to say?


This is my second piece of fruit in my series, the banana. The banana is often called a tree but in fact it is not. It produces a psuedostem which grows quite high and then produces bunches of either green, yellow or red bananas. After producing its bananas the stem dies and then it send up another psuedostem and the cycle repeats. Grown mostly in the subtropics and tropics since they cannot tolerate freezing temperatures. The yellow banana is often called the dessert banana while the plantain is considered the cooking banana. And thats our lesson on bananas! Did anyone noticed that I ate the banana first then painted it? Sometimes its just too tempting.

5 comments:

Teri said...

Wow, this is just a gorgeously done banana peel! :)

Where do you live? sounds like right next door.

Desiree's Designs said...

Hi Teri,
I live in Southern California, very close to you in Arizona!

Anita Davies said...

Desiree this is just gorgeous, so loose and with just the right balance of values. I am going to enjoy your fruits.
I have added you as a starpost on my blog this week.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Wow, such an excellent painting. Stunning.

indiaartist said...

Beautiful banana peel. What a joy to watch is again and again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails