Saturday, January 16, 2010

Prayers for the people of Haiti

I have been so heartbroken from the reports coming out of Haiti. The insurmountable obstacle that these people face as they attempt to rescue and help those still trapped in fallen debris is shocking. Where are the emergency people, ambulances, heavy equipment to help? There isn't any, just neighbors helping neighbors. People dying everywhere because they weren't rescued in time. I always picture myself , or my family, in that position since it could easily be us. Now our relief is stalled due to the airport damage and the countries lack of experience in coordinating such a huge effort, I can only imagine the frustration on that end of the disaster. With all the talk of our struggling economy and all the people here loosing their homes, people are still opening their hearts and sending money to relief centers, neighbors helping neighbors.

Its amazing how this will bring out the best and the worst in people. Now they are warning us to beware of relief scams, another unbelievable thing, when people take advantage of the tragedy of others. We need to be smart when donating to any organization. ABC News has a list of organizations, and that site also links to this list of responding organizations. Making a mark, an art blog site is sharing some different options for donating to the cause, like donating artwork for an online auction. The blog has a lot of information that I wanted to share with everyone. The blog shares links to the Red Cross, doctors without borders etc., well know organizations that are some of the first responders at the scene.

I hope you will join me as I donate what I can and then I will be praying, praying, praying and watching

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails