Sunday, September 27, 2009

Pears and shadows


Cindi in our watercolor group "Painting Friends" challenged us to do shadows. I decided to paint tonight and this seemed perfect. She had posted two pictures, one of a statue and pears, I "picked" pears! I think I was too tired to paint as I felt like I was struggling from the start. Somedays you just know instinctively, don't paint! Well, I decided to keep going, I mean, its just a practice piece, right? well soon I was getting mud. Mud is never good in watercolor painting, so I told myself, pretend your an oil painter. So now I was going for mud, colorful mud. I ended up with this, I do like it, it was fun. I want to get dark darks that still have color. That arent dead blacks or browns. So these practice pieces are great, thanks Cindi!
"Pears" watercolor 5x7






8 comments:

jaytee said...

I love the richness of this..... some of the watercolourists I most admire came 'across' from oil painting and imported their techniques......... so this, in my mind, is a very valid and successful approach :)

Cindi said...

hey desiree.. wow how fun that you decided to make the pears your nightly painting...from where im sitting, you done good!! love the texture you got and and it does have a feel of oil.. good going!!

Beth Niquette said...

This is exquisite--your flow of design is like music to the eyes. Your use of complimentary colors is GORGEOUS!

Unknown said...

I would never have guessed this was a struggle! I couldn't wait to click on it from my "following" list after seeing that thumbnail! So beautiful!

Desiree's Designs said...

Thanks everyone, I am happy with it, a few spots that were overworked but I love the shadows and the composition. I cropped the original picture quite a bit. Thanks for your comments and for looking!

Stephie Butler said...

Desiree......I love the composition and shadows too...i also love all the colours. certainly doesn't look overworked from where I'm sitting...

norapaints@blogspot.com said...

Just wonderful Desiree

Christiane Kingsley said...

Desiree, I love this painting! Your darks and shadows are indeed very rich. You also achieved beautiful textures. Well done!

Related Posts with Thumbnails