Thursday, December 07, 2006

My brothers dogs



I did this watercolor of my brothers dogs, I am so unhappy with it, it lacks something and I can't seem to put my finger on it, I might do it over again and see if I can't do a better job. I think it might be my colors or my technique or the background, but there is something that is off. I love when I hit and I hate when I miss so I always try and turn it into a learning process, my continual state of learning. The pug's name is Charlie and the French bulldog's name is Winston. Winston is only a year and he was full of energy the few days they stayed with us over Thanksgiving. Jennifer loves dogs so much and she loved the time she got to spend with them. Her and my brother went on a few walks together with all the dogs. Although Pee Wee is so small she played fine with the "boys" and let them know when she was done! It always takes a women to get those men in line.

7 comments:

Justin said...

hey, the story is so nice!! n you seem to draw quite well.
And hey, wanna know wat my dogs are up to!!!!

Lin said...

You've done such a great job on these pups! Those eyes are fabulous! My humble opinion, and remember, please, I'm a rank amateur here, is that I'd like to see a lighter background around the heads -- perhaps a light/phathlo blue -- that would make the browns of their fur really pop ...?

Brenda Yarborough said...

The dogs are excellent - you've really done a fine job of capturing personality!! I REALLY like them.
I usually agree with Lin, but I was thinking a darker background. I, too, am an amateur -- so this is most definitely IMHO!!

Karen Winters said...

Dianne, these dogs are very expressive - good work.

I suggest softening some of the edges to make them a little less cutout. The faces are great. Try this in Photoshop first before you work on the original and see what you think.

Susan said...

I'm sure, as the artist, that you are seeing something that I don't . . . or not seeing something I don't miss, whatever. My first thought, before reading what you wrote, was that these dogs looked so real, so expressive.

Wendee said...

Oh, look at those faces! How could anyone say 'No' to those! What a wonderful job you did! I'm with both Lin and Karen on suggestions - - isn't it tough to have to stand back and find yourself frustrated with your work and wonder what you could do better next time? It's a constant process - keep at it and keep sharing. It's all been so lovely!
hugs!

Susan said...

Hope you aren't posting because you are busy with happy holiday things!

Related Posts with Thumbnails