Friday, November 10, 2006

Our sycamore tree




I love the fall colors although we get a limited and abreviated version of the spectacular display they have back east we do have a few trees that put on a show for us in the fall. I planted many coloring trees in our yard so I could enjoy the season too. But... usually sycamores don't really color, they just start looking old and dry and then they loose their leaves. This year a few of mine decided to give me a treat and they got a beautiful color of yellows and oranges and then within a week they just dumped their leaves. My poor husband had been out with the leave vacumn everynight after work in an effort to keep our neighbors from declaring war. The neighbors pulled out every tree that even looked like it would shed a leaf and planted palms, stupid queen palms. They are ok, I have 4 but, my goodness, they have tons of them, the guy across the street planted probably 50 of them, it looks like a palm farm. Can we talk about making some landscaping choices. Any way, don't get me started, so I ended up collecting all the rejected trees that were being ripped out and discarded as though they had no value because they were not in the palm family! We were given some beautiful trees as street trees and I made sure I looked them up if I wasn't familiar with them. The builder changed the trees on every street, so my street tree is different from the guy behind me. It was so beautiful in the beginning. But as the landscapers came in they ripped out most of them and put in palms. I know that trees that go deciduous are more work but their contribution to the yard is so worth it. One of my rescued trees is called a Chinese fringe tree, they are just covered in blooms during the spring, it is a blast of white and they color up a bit in the fall, the others are Pistache and liquid amber which put on a wonderful fall display. I moved mine but kept all of them and brought in more so... the leaves are an issue. Anyway, off of my soap box, I painted the tree and photographed it too. The color was great. Here to enjoying variety in all things!

4 comments:

Brenda Yarborough said...

You've captured the lovely colors perfectly!! You also have a wonderful loose style that I so admire. I'm in southern California too and know exactly what you mean about the limited fall color, but it sure makes us appreciate those few we do get.

Lin said...

INCREDIBLE!!! THE COLOR SO BEAUTIFULLY VIVID!!! BRAVA!```

Susan said...

What I like about this one is that I've seen trees that look like that. Arizona has limited fall color, too, at least in the southern part of the state, but the mountains are wonderful.

Wendee said...

Oh so lovely! Wow! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails